We are thrilled to be able to offer a most intriguing design to knit -- plus a vibrant Knit ALong (KAL) via our Earth Faire's Ravelry forum.
These beads in particular are pretty special -- we really wanted ones that would mirror the opulence of the period.
Melissa wrote: "This shawl is inspired by the filmy evening wraps of the Art Nouveau period. I love the effect of the delicate fabric encrusted with flowers and swirls of beads. This is my interpretation of that elegance."About the yarn: each skein of Pura Wool Silk Lace is 50% fine grade merino wool/ 50% silk with 630 yards to each 2 ounce skein. Thus two skeins will be more than enough for the 1200 yards needed for this design.
The beads are by Toho, a Japanese bead company known for the quality of its product. And the glory of its colors. We don't have the exact yarn or bead that Melissa used, but we have some real beauties.
Each kit below is named for the colorway of the yarn included, and is listed in the order that the photographs are presented to the right hand side of this page.
• Crushed Velvet is a rich wine color. With it we have put Toho's Higher Metallic Blue Plum Iris, a marvelous metallic bead with nuances of blues and wines and purples and turquoise from the iris highlights. It is very similar to the Dragonfly but with a bit more purple overall and wines, to go beautifully with Velvet.
• Cool Aqua is what it sounds like -- a soft, not-quite-pastel aqua, reminiscent of the Caribbean Sea on a very calm sunny day. With it the Toho beads we offer are called Higher Metallic June Bug -- a beautiful metallic look playing on shades and tints of greens and aquas and turquoise.
• Violet Haze is a lovely lilac colorway. With it we put a wonderful contrast in metallic beads: Higher Metallic Bronze Plum Iris. The main color of bronze is highlighted with the subtle hues from the iris finish so that wine and purples and faint greens also show up. Melissa's original was done using a Bronze Iris bead and this goes so nicely with the Violet Haze that we decided we had to follow her lead. The close-up photo that you'll see when you click on this allows you a better glimpse of the beads.
• Moonlight Halo is a soft grey. With it we have the only non-Toho bead: the Silver Lined Crystal AB from Miyuki. The look is neutral and oh-so-sophisticated. (The price is a bit less as well.)
• Plum Frost is a delightful red-violet. With it we are offering a hex-cut 8/0 bead, the colorway called Higher Metallic Dark Plum Iris (it is also being offered by itself on our 8/0 beads pages). This is a striking colorway, with bronze mixing with wine and the hex cut catching the light in a most beautiful way. Again, make sure you click on the photo here to see a close-up of the bead on the yarn.
• Pacific Blue is a deep capri blue. With it we have one of our very favorite beads from Toho: Dragonfly, a mostly blue-peacock colorway with an iris finish adding shades of violet and purple and a bit of almost-green. Perfect with this yarn.
• Black is completely new -- and not shown in these photos. The kit will consist of Black yarn plus the Silver Lined Crystal AB beads. Should be amazingly striking. (Again, the price is a bit lower than with the other beads.)
Make your choice from the drop-down menu.
We are so very pleased with what we can offer here and think any of these will help you make a stunning NBC!
Customers who bought this product also purchased