Van Gogh is one of my very favorite painters and when I discovered that Opal put out a series of yarns based on some of his artworks -- well, I just had to get them in!
The yarn itself is 100g/425m (about 467 yards) of 75/25 blend of superwash wool/ polymide. It is specially dyed -- each unique unto itself -- to help produce a lovely pattern on the knitted fabric.
• #5432: based on Vase with Sunflowers (Vase mit Sommenblumen) -- the main hues are gold, brown, mint, and green
• #5435: based on Starry Night (Sternennacht) -- mainly blue, black, ecru, with orange
• #5433: based on The Red Vineyard (though oddly enough the label calls this painting incorrectly Der rote Weingarten in Arles which translates as The All-Night Cafe at Arles). The painting is a lovely one with rose and pink and blue and gold tones which the yarn duplicates beautifully.
• #5431: based on Cafe Terrace at Night (Cafe-Terrasse am Abend) with mostly blues, light and dark, and golds, light and darker into browns.
• #5430: based on Bedroom in Arles (Schlafzimmer in Arles) -- mostly soft fawn brown and different hues of blues and greens with a bit of orange-red highlighting the whole.
Great for socks, but don't stop there. They make intriguing scarves and shawls as the patterned colors play with each other.
There is something really special about these.