We are so excited to announce a brand NEW mystery KAL series that we are doing with The Unique Sheep (TUS).
Here is the data as Laura tells us:
KAL begins October 19, 2018.
Signups will remain open until Oct 19. However, we can only guarantee that your order will arrive before the KAL begins if you sign up before Sept 19!
We are calling it our "Mini Modern KAL" series to differentiate it from our regular Children's Tales KALs with Janine le Cras.
The Mini Modern KAL shawls will be smaller (150g of fingering weight rather than 300g, and correspondingly fewer clues), with a more modern design -- think asymmetry, texture, short rows, etc rather than traditional lace.
They will also be a bit simpler and easier to knit than some of the intricate lace shawls we've done in the Children's Tales collection.
The Mini Modern KAL doesn't replace our Children's Tales KAL series. Instead, we are using these smaller projects to fill the "gaps" between the larger shawl KALs. There won't be any overlap between the two series, so you won't have any excuse not to sign up for both!
Designed by Josh Ryks-Robinsky, this asymmetrical crescent shawl is knit with 150g of fingering weight yarn and can be knit in any of our fingering weight bases.
You can choose a regular colorway or one of our Gradiance colorways. (Please note that we will assume Gradiance unless told otherwise.)
If you would like your pattern sent to your Ravelry library, please provide your Ravelry name via the Comments section as you check out.
This shawl is inspired by the Three Fates- the Moirai. Here is Josh's description of the theme:
The Moirai are the famous three Fates from Greek Mythology. According to legend, the three sisters each had a specific role in determining the fate or destiny of mankind. Clotho, the youngest, spun the thread of life for her sister – Lachesis – to measure out and determine the length of the thread, while Atropos made the final cut and ended that thread of life when appropriate.
This shawl has three distinct movements and follows a similar sequence: the first movement sets up the rhythm of the body of the shawl and passes it off to the second movement. The second movement echos the first and adds the length to the body of the piece. And the final movement gives a border and a beautiful ending to the whole piece.
This shawl uses knit one below stitches, eyelets, and squishy garter stitch to create lines and textures throughout the piece, while a very simple short row sets up the border for a dramatic finish to the body of the shawl.
The pattern will be emailed to you in pieces.
On the first day you'll receive the instructions for the first part of the pattern. In the following weeks you'll receive the rest of the pattern, bit by bit. But you won't see a finished picture of the shawl until the very end!
We'd love to have you join us on this knitting adventure!
Announcements and conversation will take place on the Ravelry group board so please join us there! The designer and the dyers (Kelly Eells and Laura Lough) will be active on the Ravelry board and Facebook Group to answer questions about the pattern and cheer you on!
Notice that the price varies depending on your yarn preference. Please make sure to select the correct option for the yarn of your choice.
Note also that this is a Pre-Order. Your choice will be dyed specially to your order and thus will take a bit of time to be ready. The dates above tell you when you must order for an assurance of getting the kit before the MKAL starts.
Please read our policy on Pre-Orders.
You can knit this in any of our fingering weight bases.
The Unique Sheep carries a number of fingering weight yarns and there are a few additional ones which are Earth Faire exclusives.
1. Verve2 is 100% Superwash Merino Wool
2. Tinsel Toes is 50% Superwash Merino, 50% Tencel.
3. Sushi Socks is 60% Superwash Merino, 30% Bamboo, 10% Nylon
4, Pashimi is a bit more expensive as it is 80/10/10 Superwash Merino, Cashmere and Nylon.
5. Green Sheep Fingering is made up of 100% Organic superfine merino
6. Green Sheep Cotton Bamboo is 51% combed organic cotton, 49% bamboo rayon
7. Marici Fingering is again more expensive -- it is made up of 100% Spun Silk and feels phenomenal.
8. Luna: These are Earth Faire exclusives and a bit more expensive. Fiber-wise the yarn is 75% superwash Merino, 20% nylon, 5% Stellina. The merino is springy and delicious, the nylon adds strength. Stellina is a non-metal fiber. You will have a silver-toned fiber in Luna.
9. Nimbus (another EarthFaire exclusive) is a 100% Superwash Blue Faced Leicester (BFL) yarn. Not quite as fine as merino though plenty soft enough for next-to-skin wear. What it does have that merino doesn't is a lovely drape and even a shine. A shawl of BFL will swing and sway as you walk. And the scales of this wool, being shaped differently, reflect the light and gives quite a lovely look indeed.
10. Leeana (an EarthFaire exclusive, named after a silver and white moon dragon whose wings are flecked with silver and with a silver mane) is a 51/49 blend of cultivated silk/ merino (just a bit more silk than merino). The best of both fibers, this has some of the memory/bounce from the merino with the beautiful shine that comes from silk.
11. Kiri is a tussah silk and superwash merino fingering weight yarn. The 4-ply structure produces a smooth, round yarn with a soft but firm hand. The 20% Tussah Silk is well blended without any slubs. The silk adds a nice bit of luster without being shiney. This knits up great for lace patterns because it has a beautiful drape, excellent stitch definition and it blocks well. It takes dye well --- the colors come out a bit more muted than on Pashmi or Verve.
You can choose to knit with a regular colorway or one of our Gradiance colorways. It looks great with or without beads.
We are assuming any colorway you choose will be dyed as a Gradiance colorway, a set of six skeinettes. If you would prefer a "regular" colorway, let us know via the Comments section as you check out.
We have some special exclusive-to-EarthFaire colorways listed in our drop-down menu.
Earth Faire exclusives are those you can only get through us. Almost all are shown on these Flickr pages , though we are constantly working with Kelly to create new ones and those might be a bit late having their pictures taken. Feel free to contact me if you would like more descriptions or other photos.
You can also get through us any or all of the colorways that Laura and Kelly dye for The Unique Sheep. Just set the drop-down menu to "Other" and tell us what. We'll make sure you get your choice.
Some of these colorways are based on circles of color. You will notice in the drop-down menu that quite a few ask you to "choose your numbers".
Each circle has 12 possible skeinettes of color. You can choose any 6 consecutive colors to make your own personalized colorway.
For this 6-skein set: you must do is choose the number to start with. A number of the photos on this page show circles or color strips that are labeled by number. If you want, for example, to start with 10, then your set will have the skeins noted as 10, 11, 12, 1, 2, 3.
(We are showing pictures of the circles on this page just to make it a bit easier to select, plus a brand new one created especially for this MKAL.)
Again, a reminder, for ease in ordering, we will assume that all colorways will be Gradiance sets, unless you tell us differently! Further data on can be found here about Gradiance sets .
Please feel free to contact us if you would like more data about any of these.
An additonal reminder: if you want a colorway that you cannot find specifically listed on the Choices drop-down menu, simply select "Other (tell us!)"