Beaded Knitting: The "Verna-X" Beadle Needle
The Verna-X adds beads for beaded knitting in basically the same method as the crochet hook. It has a hook at the end, not a notch as with other Beadle Needles.
One major advantage of the Verna-X is the longer needle lets you have lots of beads at the ready. It also comes with two stoppers to keep all the beads in place.
This technique is great for:
- Size 8/0s - lace weight
- Size 6/0s (or equivalent) - lace, fingering, and occasionally heavier yarns Size 5/0s (both round and triangle) - up to light worsted
- Size 3/0 and 2/0 - these are even larger and can be used on heavier yarns
There are two sizes of Verna-X Beadle Needles available. Use the smaller (0.8mm) one for the 8/0 beads and lace weight yarn. The larger (1.0mm) one will be better with the larger beads and heavier yarn.
You should always run a test to be sure everything will fit nicely on your project.
For this technique we recommend (and carry) high quality Miyuki and Toho beads. We’ve found these have extremely consistent hole sizes. That’s not to say you can’t use other beads. If you have beads you love, try them out! Just keep in mind that you may end up with some that just won’t fit.
Add some beads to your Verna-X
From the left (facing you), capture the stitch you want to add the bead to.
Hook it over the end of the Verna-X. It’s helpful to pinch the loop of yarn against the hook on the Verna-X the keep things steady.
Carefully thread the bead over the loop of yarn.
Return the loop of yarn with the bead to the original needle. It is helpful to turn the needle half a turn so it won’t catch on the yarn when you withdraw it from the stitch.
Here you can see the needle with the captured bead.
Now continue to knit as you would normally. (Sometimes designers change the sequence slightly, e.g. having you knit the stitch first and then add the bead.)
Here you see the completed stitch.
See how beautiful and easy this can be?
This article was published on Thursday 28 July, 2016.
- Big Eye Needle
- The "Verna-X" Beadle Needle/ Straight/ 0.8mm or 1.0mm
- Metallic Threads/ Tapestry Braid #12/ 10m Spools
- Bead Soup Bracelet Kit/ Original/ Random or Custom
- Bead Stew Bracelet/ Moon Flowers
- Bead Stew Bracelet/ Moonrise on Neptune
- The Ultimate Folding Ruler
- 9" Clover Single Point Bamboo Needles/ size 0
- Bead Stew Bracelet/ Rock Candy
- Moonrise Neckpiece/ by Sivia and Ellen